Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Morning...

This morning I planned on getting up early to make breakfast for the boys (more on the valentine stuff of the day in my next post) and lucky for me (?) my babies woke up pretty early so it worked out since I can usually talk myself into ANYTHING for a few more minutes of sleep....aw...the boys can have a banana for breakfast..no bananas? Hmm, rice cake anyone...oh, none of those? Here have a skittle!! .... so it really WAS good that the littles didn't feel like going back to bed. Anyway, I get up, make breakfast, get the boys ready...things are going pretty good - UNTIL it is time to go to the bus stop. Oops. I just realized I have to back up. This morning when Mark woke up and looked outside he came back in the room and asked if I planned to go anywhere today. I thought about it and told him no, I was staying home all day so he said he was going to take the Durango since it will be better in the snow and he was pretty sure the corolla wouldn't make it out of the driveway. Okay, back to the school bus. I was quite certain I sent them off with plenty of time but they got to the middle of the driveway and announced "nope, no kids" - meaning no kids at the bus stop - meaning they've missed the bus.... GGGGRRRRR. "Alright, I say - we'll have to go in the car, hurry and get in while I get the babies" (okay, that sounds really nice like I was all "no problem kiddos, let's all put our happy faces on and get in the car"....um, yeah - that's what it was like....almost exactly...gulp.) ANYWAY, I wasn't happy and I KNEW we would get stuck and WE DID right at the end of the driveway and into the road. ERGH! Lucky for me my wonderful next door neighbor happened to be trying out his new snow blower so I got out (in my slippers) and asked him to help me. He rescued me, and then said "I don't think school is starting for another few hours though, ours are still home - you might want to go call and see. So I go inside and there is a message from a friend of mine letting me know that school IS starting 2 hours late today (thank you Tricia!). So I park in my NEIGHBORS driveway and pile everyone back in the house, accidentally stepping in the deepest part of the snow on my way - and prepare to hunker down for a few more hours before needing to deal with this all over again. Lucky for me, my awesome neighbor thought it would be fun to test his snow blower out on MY driveway too, SO NICE! Anyway, about this time Mark decides to call and see how my Valentine's day is going. "CRAZY", I say and begin to tell my story. Guess what he tells me next?! "Oh yeah! I heard on the radio on my way into work that the schools were starting late!" This is followed of course by dead silence on my end.....and then... "um, honey - I really appreciate it when you call to tell me important things like when Britney Spears was staying at the same hotel we'd just been staying at in Vegas at the SAME time or when Heath Ledger died, or when we're supposed to be getting a "big storm" this afternoon etc, etc... but do you think that the next time you hear that the school that OUR children are attending will be closed for a few hours in the morning you could...oh I don't know...LET ME KNOW????!!!!!!!! GRRRrrr.

Actually since I had started to relax a little by this point and was kind of enjoying the boys home for the morning I wasn't too upset and found it pretty funny... lucky guy. :)

6 comments:

Kandis said...

I absolutely love reading your stories! That was hilarious! I'd love to hear a story like this from the perspective of one of the kids.....I bet they think adults are crazy half the time! I hope you have a great V-Day!

Camille said...

Hilarious. You have quite the adventures with those 4 boys. I can't believe you have 4 boys. I think you're amazing.

And I want to hear more about the reference sharla made on her blog... now.

are you okay?

Diane said...

What? Where are the heart shaped valentine pancakes, with pink milk and breakfast in bed for hard working and studying Mark? No more negative grrs for him, esp on this special day. Man, what is happening to America that no one celebrates Valentine's Day. Were there heart shaped cookies for the school party? If the answer is no I may just have a heart attack.

Danielle said...

Okay, I shouldn't be, but I'm chuckling. What a morning!!! I hope the day became MUCH better!

Shar said...

so funny sis, my morning was much calmer; woke up at 6:30, was hearing stuff on the radio about the snow but didn't really pay much attention, I mean, when was the last time we got any time off of school for snow, right? I was trying to wake Bryce up when Erika called, (yeah, um, she had stayed at a friends house to get ready for V day and school together)and said "Mom, dont get Bryce up yet, school's not starting for two hours because of the snow" I said "are you sure? I thought I heard on the radio that schools were starting on time" she said, "i'm pretty sure, I'll call you back" I turned on the news and saw that it said "Jordan school district schools not starting for two hours after the usual start time" by the time Erika called back I was like "yeah, ok, thanks" climbed back in bed and was out before you could say 'thank you snow day!' Sorry, should have called you:)

Lisa said...

Oooh, I SO feel your pain. My morning was SO similar! We woke up "late" because the alarm didn't go off. So I opened my eyes at 7:30, jumped up and was trying to get kids dressed, fed, and final valentine's stuff done so they could be to the bus by 7:43. Ummm, yeah, that didn't happen. So, I made Joel take them and they were going to be "tardy." Until Noah's teacher called me and said "I just wanted you to know that Noah and Eli are safe, but school doesn't start until 10:00 today." I NEVER turn on the radio and/or TV in the morning, because we are NEVER cancelled or delayed for school. Guess I learned my lesson. Here's to more snow days!